Success Story: Hoag Memorial Presbyterian Hospital engages physicians in continuous performance improvement initiatives
Physicians are constantly balancing numerous priorities and being pulled in various directions. Though performance growth and clinical documentation improvement are highly beneficial for patients in the long run, it’s difficult to engage already-stressed clinicians in initiatives that don’t demonstrate immediate impact. With MedeAnalytics robust data and analytics platforms, Hoag Memorial was able to establish a culture of continuous performance improvement.
Hoag Memorial Presbyterian Hospital is a short-term acute care facility with 518 inpatient beds and 1,700 affiliated physicians. The organization was struggling to build physician engagement in their performance improvement initiatives as it lacked the reports, peer comparisons and benchmarks needed to make meaningful change.
Our data and analytics capabilities allowed Hoag Memorial to benchmark physician performance and enhance documentation practices via comprehensive dashboards and comparative scorecards. Specifically, the organization gained the ability to:
- Perform analyses based on clinical bundles, DRG groups, hospital peer and cohort benchmarks, and physician stratification
- Drill down into scorecard data and causal analysis key to performance improvement
- Leverage actionable insights to educate physicians and help them focus on gaps in care and documentation
As Hoag Memorial cultivated a culture of continuous documentation improvement and excellent clinical program performance, it was able to accomplish significant results:
- Achieved $1M+ in improvement opportunity from one physician by drilling down into one DRG
- Identified and implemented a service line (elective procedure) unique to the organization
Leveraging data driven insights from our CDI initiative helped us engage and educate our physicians, foster healthy competition, and enable higher productivity and performance.”
– Michele Morton, Director of Hospital HIM Services
Hear directly from Hoag on their analytics journey by watching the HFMA webinar below.